Thursday, May 22, 2008

Hope

I can hardly believe that today is officially the second week that I am in Kampala. Compare to what I had expected, things seem to be a lot smoother than what I had expected. Since I am interning in a Human rights organization, I come across many interesting/inspiring/depressing issues through out the day. I have had a chance to meet amazing activists from in and out of Uganda and I have had a chance to hear from them what it is like to be human rights activist in certain regions.

About a week ago with the help of Amnesty, one of the Human Rights Defenders who the organization that I work for protects organized a semi demonstration against the government of Ethiopia. For me it was interesting to attend this demonstration since I was now able to place people behind all the paper work that I had been doing. The demonstration was taking place in front of an Ethiopian restaurant in Kampala. When I asked the people why we don’t approach the embassy they said that the government of Uganda has banned demonstration in “sensitive” parts of the city to avoid violent riots. There we were in front of a restaurant, underneath of the Ethiopian flag, holding a candle and shouting the slogans that were read by the activists. It was interesting to see people’s reaction and how many people who were around the area immediately left since they feared tear gases and violent police attacks. Even though, as the demonstration continued, the number of police officers who were observing our demonstration increased, there was no violence. At one point, however, a few people from the Ethiopian embassy approached us and were shouting that our slogans were lies and such. But than again, there was no violence.
After the demonstration, where about 50 people had showed up, we decided to go to the restaurant that we were demonstrating in front of , for supper. The lady who led the demonstration, Sebleh, was a 26 year old woman from Ethiopia who was the member of the opposition party during the presidential election in 2005 and was arrested and sent to jail for 2 years. Last year, when she left the prison on bail, she escaped to Kampala. My boss, who was one of the first people that she contacted to report her status, admitted that Sebleh immediately used the money that was provided for her to fulfill her basic to create a website for the fellow opposition member who were spending time in prison or were not able to escape Adis Abbaba.
When I met her and asked her a few questions, I could not believe how brave a 26 year old woman could be. Throughout our discussion she constantly emphasized on reconciliation and how regardless of how much the government of Ethiopia was pushing her to create rage against them, she was all for peaceful negotiation and not violence. She was telling me that she had to let go of her anger in order to beat them, and to me that was a powerful statement, especially considering all the things that they had done to her. I haven’t had the guts to ask her what really happened to her in prison, but I can only imagine what could a ruthless government do to a passionate, innocent 26 year old woman.
The time that I spent with Sebleh and every time that I have met up with her after the day of the demonstration, was worth every single difficulty that I have faced or will face during my stay in Kampala. Not only she gave me insight about the inside politics of the West in Ethiopia and countries in this region, but she taught me lessons that I probably would not have learned sitting in classrooms anywhere else in the world. Her passion for her country and her history, her respect for all man kind, her curiosity in others and many more allowed me to realize that hope still exists in this world. Being a pessimistic person that I usually am, especially regarding world politics and such, I was ashamed of my self for loosing hope in creating change. Now, there was a lady in front of me who experienced everything that I had only read in books and still managed to live everyday with hope, even though every day is a reminder for her that her life is in danger.

Today I decided to share this inspiring story with those of you who live in the North and might come across days where you might think that it is all a waste. Even though it might be, lets not think about that and try to see the positive. If not for you, than for people like Sebleh who sacrifice their lives for change. I know to most of you Sebleh is only a name that you read and you might not be able to see the person that she is behind this name that I keep mentioning, but try to put your self in her shoe for 1 second and you will find the hope in you to continue.
Last time I spoke to Sebleh she told me that UNHCR has informed her that Kampala is no longer a safe place for her to stay due to Ethiopian government’s affiliation with Uganda, therefore they are relocating her. She wasn’t sure where she was relocated to, and if she finds out, she has to keep it a secret to everyone around her. However, since I am working on her file I am entitled to know the location which makes me feel specialJ.

Anyways, I hope I did not bore you by preaching so much. It is just that at times I find my self not having enough hope to do well, and I thought that those of you who might find your selves in similar situations might appreciate this story.

All the best.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm, I don't consider myself a pessimist but I certainly don't see too much 'hope.' It is the way it is, an oxymoron state of being: perfectly imperfect.
By change we usually mean having a more just society, and to achieve justice, one must usually take something from the powerful/resourceful few and give it to the many. But like it says, the few are powerful, resourceful, and of course, they'll act according to their best interest.

Look at that fucking military junta in Burma: it took them THREE GODDAMN weeks just to say that they're willing to receive help from the outside world (it remains to be seen whether they mean what they say). There are kids dying from hunger and disease, and all they need is a tent, some food and medicine (basic care), and the junta doesn't even want to help them by getting some foreign aid.

Hope? Hope for change, right? Change? Perhaps. But slow, really really slow. And for every inch of justice that is gained, another inch or two is lost in some other form.

Anyways, that's my belief. To each his own, right?

Anonymous said...

Mitra, I really enjoyed reading about your experience so far. Im sure its pretty difficult being alone in a new place, but meeting people like her with be unforgettable memories that make it all worth it. Be strong and keep learning. I'm proud of you!!! love, elyse

Larissa said...

Wow Sepand! Have a drink. You seem a little wound up. Yes indeed, there are bad people in the world. The hope part is believing that there are more good than bad. For example, yes the generals in Burma not so good. But the generals in China did better. So if we go with your zero sum game, one cancels the other out.

Fortunately, the world doesn't work the way you think. You believe that in order for one to succeed another must fail. I personally couldn't live my life that way where if I had a success I knew I was hurting someone else. It is actually possible for development to happen without someone slipping further behind. How do I know this? Because it is 2008, not 1954.

Mitra, love the entry. It sounds like you are learning a lot. Africans are amazing for their patience for change. I remember hearing a report about the election in Zimbabwe. They were on week two of waiting for the results and when they asked someone why they weren't more anxious they answered that they have waited years for this and that a little bit longer wouldn't matter much. Can you imagine that flying in Canada?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing such an intense story. Wow, i can hardly imagine what you are going through there, almost as if you are living in the very scenes where we only read about in newspaper. As we would say in France, bon courage! - Vivien Kwong (Paris)

Tapas4Danny said...

i felt like i was really able to visualize and get a good feel for how intesnse what you are going through is ... just one thought i have after reading it: it seems like you are spending time w/ some people who have a very strong drive/passion for the accomplishment of one extreme, while the other extreme is being completly unknowledgable ... it must be difficult to find a grounded view to understand how you really feel about the situation since you are being influenced by such a strong presence

Mitra said...

thanks everyone for all your inputs. It is interesting for sepand to make those some what pesimistic comments about what is happening in the world, becasue he is usually the one with hope. i could have misunderstood him or soemthing.
As you have probably felt, i am learning many things and yes, i do find my self in the middle of no where not being able to form an opinion about certain issues. However, even this situation is rewarding knowing what i am exposed to. Please keep the comments going. i will be posting anothing one quite soon.
cheers